Saturday, July 25, 2009

A wonderful birthday in the 'Burg!

Wednesday was my 27th birthday, and it was a great day. My husband took the day off work to spend with me. We went on a 15 mile bike ride, went out to lunch, and tried to go get massages, but traffic was bad so we had to reschedule for last night.

Back in June, when we were in Paris, Steve bought be an early birthday present from here...

Steve had MBA classes the night of my birthday, which left the night free for a date with my mom.

My mom took me to one of my favorite restaurants in Pittsburgh : Cafe Zao.

I started with the Zao salad, which I love because the vegetables are so fresh and it even has some hearts of palm and artichoke.


For dinner I ask for a vegan plate (they said they have a vegetarian dish on the menu) and each time I have been here it is totally different. They basically use a different starch and different vegetables each time. The pepper was stuffed with a white bean mixture. There were some portobello mushrooms under this pile. I ate half of this dish and took the rest home for another lunch.


For a starter my mom ordered this ravioli. This was the biggest ravioli I have ever seen!!

For dinner my mom got a chicken breast. This was boneless but I guess they stick that bone in it for presentation purposes. She had a lot of leftovers as well.

Cafe Zao is in the Cultural District of Pittsburgh. After dinner we walked to the Benedum to see Copacabana. I have never seen this musical before, but really enjoyed it. My mom and I have season tickets to the theater and in the summer go to musicals almost every other Wednesday.

I'm off to spend the Saturday with my hubby and puppy. Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, DEAR AIMEE!!!!

Michelle said...

Happy belated birthday!! It looks like you had a really nice day! Love the early b-day present, and your dinner looks so yummy!

Jenny said...

happy belated birthday, girlfriend :) sounds like you had a wonderful celebration!

MJC said...

Happy Birthday!! Glad you could spend the day with your hubby and had a nice time! :)

Peanut Butter Swirl said...

happy belated birthday :D
sounds like you had a great night out!

Steph said...

Happy belated birthday!!! :)

Faith said...

Happy belated birthday! :)